I got my hair cut last week. Actually, I got them all cut. Badly. It looked like I had joined the Marines when she got done, but that’s not the part that mad it a bad haircut. It “getting it cut” rather than what it looked like after it had been cut. The girl cutting my hair carried on a conversation with her boyfriend the whole time she was cutting. Not only that, but she usually STOPPED cutting while she was talking. Not only that, she gestured wildly while she talked, her scissors swooshing by my ear as she gesticulated (Has anyone ever died in a haircut accident?) Not only that, but she had a booming voice that was going off within inches of my ear. So I was practically bald and deaf by the time I got out of the chair. Did I complain? No, she was armed and I wasn’t. Besides, if I said something to her, she would probably retaliate by giving me a bad haircut. Wait a minute…
While she and her friend had their own private conversation while ignoring me and my hair, I had a thought. I wonder how many guests to our worship services feel left out and ignored while we carry on great conversations with out friends. I know that we (generally) swing around sharp objects and yell next to their ear, but I wonder how many leave feeling left out of our conversations. Maybe we need a ten minute moratorium on Sundays—no talking with anyone you know well for ten minutes after church is over. For ten minutes, you have to talk with guests or members with whom you generally don’t have conversation. Fellowship is by its very nature inclusive; it brings people closer to God and to His people. When our friendship becomes exclusive, either intentionally or accidentally, then it is not really fellowship at all.
Most churches that think they are warm and friendly think that because they are warm and friendly to one another. Guests often have a totally different perspective. Think about it.
1 comment:
Not a bad idea. I'm not much of a talker, but I think it would be good. At least it will give us an outward looking focus. I liked your hair cut, by the way. Of course its been 4 years since I have even thought about it. So maybe I am not quallified to make an assessment.
Post a Comment