Well, they haven't moved Arkansas any closer to Virginia! After a very long car ride, singing praise songs until I was hoarse (of course, I had just preached so I was already on the way to hoarse) and a pretty good mystery novel on Recorded Books, I made it to Arkansas. After spending the night with my folks in Little Rock last night, I'll be with the girls the next two days giving Angelynn her car, Tressa her TV and Jasmine a city sticker from her Dad. (Is it just me, or does it seem Jasmine gets the short end of that stick?) I'll fly home Wednesday just in time to teach my class.
Last night, Mom and Dad mentioned the name of someone who had supposedly been at Denbigh sometime in the 1980's. The problem was that we could not remember them (I won't mention their name because I sure they read this blog and I don't want to hurt their feelings). Dad disappeared into his office and reappeared with three very full folders of old church directories dating back to the beginnings of Denbigh. We went through them looking for this family, but we never did find them.
What a trip down memory lane. I was reminded of people that I have not thought about for years! I thought again of how many people have come through Denbigh over the years. We have had so many from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard (along with a few Marines and maybe even some CIA spooks from Camp Perry, but then how would we know) come in and out of our church family over the last 25 years. They left a little of themselves with us and took a little of us with them. Hopefully the good parts.
Influence. Denbigh has touched a lot of lives over the years... and has been touched by a lot of lives. I hope that in some small way we have been able to enrich the Christian life of all of these people... I know they have enriched us. Maybe we can have a Denbigh reunion one day as we gather around the throne of glory. I look forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment