Monday, January 09, 2006

A Great Day

Well, yesterday was a very interesting day! It was the first Sunday that we were all together in one service after four years of being “separate and apart.” This was a major change for us in how we do church. Whether you were used to coming at 8:30 or 11:00, everyone now comes at the very strange time of 9:45! Maybe the most unique part of our change is having worship first followed by Sunday School, an order that most of us haven’t seen before. (What would Paul say about having Sunday school second?)

I’m sure there are a dozen glitches that we’ll have to work out. For example, we pulled out extra chairs and blocked aisles at the back in violation of the fire marshal’s “suggested” seating restrictions. We'll need to get better at ushering people down front. We do want the fire marshal to worship with us at some point, so we might want to work on that! We may need to scrunch the rows closer together so we can have an extra row on each side... but that will mean going from business class to coach as far as leg room!

Things went very, very well. The singing was truly amazing! I can’t remember being in a service anywhere where there was more energy and spirit in the song service! I did feel a little extra pressure in preaching because I had only one “take” to get it right! (With two services, I had two chances to feel good about how well the sermon went!) I thought Bob’s "Elder’s Blessing" comments were particularly appropriate. We even ended the service exactly on time! And it was so very encouraging to see the auditorium so full!

Let's commit ourselves to making this new schedule work. It's going to seem a little awkward for awhile, and that's OK. Let's work together as God's family under the cross to allow Him to work in us..

No comments: