Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Divine Illumination

Just in case you are wondering where I get my sermon ideas, I thought I would share this picture of me at the moment of divine illumination. Kinda transcendent, isn't it?

Michele King took this at our church camp-out. The smoke from the campfire was drifting just right to picked up by the sun streaming through the trees. I wish sermons did come from above like this. Actually, they do come from above; they just take a lot more work than this. But then, if you look at the picture, most everyone else is ward at work getting camp ready and I'm just standing around with my arms crossed! Well, someone has to ponder the great questions of life... like "I wonder when they are going to get supper ready?"

You can see more pictures of our Memorial Day camp-out here.

1 comment:

same said...

Tuck, I can only imagine, how much work having a sermon prepared every week is and I know you do so much more than just that. Try not to take them for granite as I did many years ago, I sometimes struggled to stay awake. When the tone got quiet I became more interested and found that I was yawning to get more oxygen to my brain, and just as I got relaxed the tone and volume increased and it was like kind of painful and awkward at the same time. The pictures are all so awesome and captures the relaxed and pleasant nature of the group in fellowship, I love them all. The one of just the fire is very, cool, never have I seen such a good looking fire and it makes my monitor look like a fire place. Every eddy and pathway is captured as they are illuminated by the hot burning gases. How cool is that! Thanks for sharing them. Such a fine group. . . ‘some people just look better and better as they get older and older’. You will never see anything like that on a trail in a wilderness area (not legally any how) as camp fires are not allowed there and your tent being seen from the trail could get you a ticket. One of the best things about roughing it is that when we get home we really have a better appreciation of what we sometimes take for granite like a cool shower on a hot summer day or a fresh clean, dry pair of socks to hand to someone who is in need of them. How nice does that feel? Oh, standing in the smoke of last nights fire is a wise thing to do as it makes you less appealing to those tiny bloodsuckers that are all about this time of year.