Monday, June 23, 2008

Sunday Complaints

I got some complaints about our worship service yesterday morning. No, it was not the video highlight montage from our Upwards soccer and cheerleading camp. And it wasn't that we sang "Friends" with all the pictures of the Foster's, Mack's and McDonney's (families that are leaving us) which brought tears to many eyes and lumps in many throats. No, the "criticism" was that the service was short; we ended almost exactly at 11:30! For the record, the sermon was 25 minutes long, so at least I gave everyone their money's worth there. We sang mostly up-tempo songs, so I guess we plowed through them quicker than usual. So we ended exactly "on-time" and many thought that it was too short! I promise to do better next week (hee hee).

Will King did a long version of the Upward video that we showed Friday night (with a U-2 soundtrack) and we showed the short version in church during the announcements. So being a true conservative, I re-cycled will's unused footage and made a new Sunday night. The lesson was on the "Ripples" of influence that our words and actions have on others. When the church lives together in peace and love, we shine like stars in the heavens (Phil 2:14-15). Christians wives (1 Pet 3:1-2), Christian slaves (1 Tim 6:1), and Christians under stress (1 Pet 2:12) all impact those around them through the way they live their lives. Our influnce goes out like ripples on a pond, and we never know who is going to to pointed to the Father because of us. The Fosters, Mack's and McDonney's have touched us (and hopefully, we them) in many ways. The ripples will be felt for a long time.

Here's the video--

No comments: