Friday, June 20, 2008

Nemesis: No Ad Required

The following article was orignally an ad on craigslist; I stumbled on it on wadehodges.com. For the record. I don't routinely sit around reading other people's blogs looking for stuff to steal for my own. Most of the stuff on my blog is both good and original. Unfortunately, the stuff that is good isn't original, and the stuff that is original isn't very good! (And no, that last observation isn't orginal). Anyway, here's the craigslist post--
I’ve been trying to think of ways to spice up my life. I’m 35 years old, happily married with two kids and I have a good job in insurance. But somethings missing. I feel like I’m old before my time. I need to inject some excitement into my daily routine before its too late. I need a challenge, something to get the adrenaline pumping again. In short, I need a nemesis. I’m willing to pay $350 up front for you services as an arch enemy over the next six months. Nothing crazy. Steal my parking space, knock my coffee over, trip me when Im running to catch the BART and occasionaly whisper in my ear, “Ahha, we meet again”. That kind of thing. Just keep me on my toes. Complacency will be the death of me. You need to have an evil streak and be blessed with innate guile and cunning. You should also be adept at inconsicuous pursuit. Evil laugh preferred. Send me a photo and a brief explanation why you would be a good nemesis.
British accent preferred.
So do we all need a Goldfinger or a Dr. Moriarity always lurking in the shadows, waiting to do us harm? That would keep us on our toes, wouldn't it? The truth is that we have the arches of all archvillian's who "prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8). He is never deadlier that when we get complacent and think that he isn't really there. He is there and he is the master of inconspicuous pursuit. He is real to jump out atanytime time with an evil laugh, "Ahha, we meet again!" Peter's warning in 1 Peter 5 begins, "Be self-controlled and alert." If we aren't ready for him all the time, we won't be ready.

2 comments:

same said...

We are reminded to Be self-controlled and alert.

In Luke 22 Christ tells Simon in verse 32 He is praying for Simon that his faith fails not and Simon is told that he is to strengthen his brethren.

I believe we are to sharpen one another to be strong and ready. At all times we are to be aware of those inconspicuous pursuits that with the help of others can be fought and won by and through the one who is the master.

Original or gleaned from others, Tuck, you share good stuff on your blog.

The word Satan is mentioned 56 times in the King James.

looneybinmom said...

This guy is riding the BART...which means he is in San Francisco....enough said.