Our annual oddysey to the land of fruits and nuts for the Pepperdine Lectures is now in the books. My Google gadget countdown timer now reads 364 days until Pepperdine 2009. (Sigh). The trip was wonderful-- after our initial flight was postponed 3 hours; everything went as smooth as silk. Air Tran did much better than Delta has the last 3 years-- we did get tired of pretzels after awhile!
We spend 4 days on the front end in Palm Springs doing absolutely nothing except relaxing. Well, we did have to go to the timeshare sales pitch as payment for the stay, and that was fun. We have stayed in these resorts for the last 3-4 years (this was the first time in Palm Springs). At some point they will figure it out that as long as they keep giving us a nice room for $200 or so for 3-4 days, there is do reason to buy anything! Lets hope they don't.
It reached 101 degrees one day, but it didn't seem all that hot (dry heat). We took the tram ride up from the desert some 10,000 feet or so o the top of Mt. San Jacinto. Lynn loved it... except the part where we rode the tram 10,000 feet up the side of the mountain. It was about 30 degrees cooler once we got there, and we enjoyed hiking around for several hours.
Everything changed once we got to Pepperdine-- from lazy-laid-back to frenetic. The lectures started at 7:30 each morning and went until 10:00 that night, and we didn't miss but one session one day. It was good having Randy and Better Tanner with us again this year. One day we hope to have a whole group of folks from Denbigh trek out there with us. We were so busy that I forgot to do to the displays and buy books like I usually do. I think maybe that as we (I) get older, it is taking longer up and down the mountain between sessions! The lectures and worship times were great. As always, we were there an hour early to stake the front row for praise time with Hallal.
I tried several times to make entries to the blog from my phone, but alas the technology would not cooperate. It seems that Blogger doesn't work with the Safari browser on the iPhone, so the real-time reports that I intended to make did not materialize. And now I have forgotten all the witty things I was going to say. Suffice it to say that this weeks was once again a great time of spiritual renewal and uplift. To paraphrase Jim McGuiggen, "Everyone should be forced to attend the Pepperdine lectures... if they want to."
No comments:
Post a Comment