I must really be getting old-- I totally missed my anniversary yesterday. It came and went and I didn't even think about it at all until Lynn reminded me last night. No, it wasn't my wedding anniversary; one doesn't grow old by forgetting many of those! No, it was the 28th year that Lynn and I have been at Denbigh. The second Sunday in May of 1980 was when I started working full-time with the Denbigh Church of Christ. I was hired as the youth minister... and 3 months later Lloyd Unsell left to move back to Oklahoma and I took over as the interim preacher. And I have been taking up space filling-in ever since. Wow, how time flies!
I heard about a guy who was asked at his golden wedding anniversary party what fifty years of marriage had taught him. He say, “Well, I’ve learned that marriage is the best teacher of all. It teaches you loyalty, forbearance, meekness, self-restraint, forgiveness... and a lot of other qualities that I wouldn't have needed to know if I would have stayed single.”
Bad joke... but an element of truth. Many of the qualities that God wants to teach us are important because we mush live together in community with other believers. And it is that community of believers that helps us to learn those qualities. I love and appreciate the Denbigh church community who has taught me so much about what it means to be a Christian. I look forward to the next 28 years.
I heard about a guy who was asked at his golden wedding anniversary party what fifty years of marriage had taught him. He say, “Well, I’ve learned that marriage is the best teacher of all. It teaches you loyalty, forbearance, meekness, self-restraint, forgiveness... and a lot of other qualities that I wouldn't have needed to know if I would have stayed single.”
Bad joke... but an element of truth. Many of the qualities that God wants to teach us are important because we mush live together in community with other believers. And it is that community of believers that helps us to learn those qualities. I love and appreciate the Denbigh church community who has taught me so much about what it means to be a Christian. I look forward to the next 28 years.
3 comments:
I do remember old Lloyd His lovely quiet daughter who was very observant and I remember you Tuck when you were young and I was half your age. I remember a lot of things but I often forget anniversaries and such. Has it really been 30 years already? Loyalty, forbearance, meekness, self-restraint, forgiveness... and a lot of other qualities that I wouldn't have needed to know if I would have stayed home?
What I remember of most about him was his sober mindedness, I never had to wonder “ is he being serious” he was always serious and he spoke with ‘no nonsense’ as he encouraged others to be reverent always. I believe that it was his polite nature that drew me and others to emulate his example.
He was a kind, sensitive, caring soul and I believe he was a pastor (some have a problem with that word) but he was a pastor who feed and cared about the sheep and was concerned about the safety of those souls in his charge. He cared. He took his responsibilities seriously and I have seen him smile a warm smile when he saw or heard of someone doing good. . . he didn’t have to fake it. He was a good man and I missed him very much when he was gone.
Tucks not a bad man but I believe he has crawled around with some real snakes. He is wise to the ways of the world and his great courage and patients is tempered with a practical wisdom yet he recognizes and teaches of a God with infinite wisdom, abilities, patients, charity, forbearance and righteous judgement, who forgives and will have justice and peace. . . true lasting peace for the faithful ones and justice for all.
Many people have whispered many things in many ears for their own and theirs own’s cause. Few have not been effected and many remain passive. Few people are capably of filtering through all the junk of our world. Few would try. Tuck deserves and needs a break every now and then and so do I.
Post a Comment