That is a strange and sad story, but that is not why it caught my eye on the news. What caught my eye was that the man’s name was Charles Tucker Jr.! OK, the fact that he was 32 years old, lived in Florida and had a girlfriend clued me in that this probably wasn’t me. But it sure was my name in the paper! I hope that when my demise will not come from a pet door. And if it does, I hope that the fact won’t be carried in the national news.
There is an old joke about the preacher who reads his name in the obituaries one Sunday. He checks the bio information, and sure enough it sounds like him. He calls one of his elders and asks, “Did you read the paper?” The elder said, “Yep.” The preacher asked, “Well, did you read the obituaries?” The elder said, “Yep.” Then after a long pause the elder asked, “Where are you calling from?”
One of these days, my name will be in the obituary section for real. I have no idea when that will be or what it will say about my demise. I kinda hope its will read something like, “Newport News man killed when hit by a spaceship while hang gliding on Mars” or something like that. But there indeed be a doggy door out there with my name on it. The only certainty in this uncertain world is that, unless Jesus comes first, some paper somewhere will carry our obituary. Nobody gets out of this life alive. The secret is living a life where you are ready to go whenever it (and however it is) that you go!
There is an old joke about the preacher who reads his name in the obituaries one Sunday. He checks the bio information, and sure enough it sounds like him. He calls one of his elders and asks, “Did you read the paper?” The elder said, “Yep.” The preacher asked, “Well, did you read the obituaries?” The elder said, “Yep.” Then after a long pause the elder asked, “Where are you calling from?”
One of these days, my name will be in the obituary section for real. I have no idea when that will be or what it will say about my demise. I kinda hope its will read something like, “Newport News man killed when hit by a spaceship while hang gliding on Mars” or something like that. But there indeed be a doggy door out there with my name on it. The only certainty in this uncertain world is that, unless Jesus comes first, some paper somewhere will carry our obituary. Nobody gets out of this life alive. The secret is living a life where you are ready to go whenever it (and however it is) that you go!
2 comments:
I was named after an uncle who passed away before my birth. Visiting his grave has always been a little weird.
“Where are you calling from?”! haha, I love it! I’m probable half way there already and that’s just the way it is! I’ve wasted a lot of time; funny how it takes most of us half our life before we fully understand just how valuable that is.
There has been a tradition in my family for at least six generations. I visited at least one grave with my name on it, one with my grand father’s on it and one with my father’s on it, with them, (while they were all yet alive) it was a little weird for me too. I apear to have broken that tradition ( it will be broken if I don’t have any more offspring) and sadly it appears unlikely that I ever will.
Post a Comment