Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy Birthday, Lynn!

Today is Lynn’s birthday. I won’t tell you which one because I want to live long enough to see my next birthday! It is not one of those special birthdays numerically (like 30), but it is special because she is such a special lady. I can divulge the fact that she was only 16 when we started dating, and I was older. So that would make her younger than me right now, a fact that she often points out. As you can tell from this picture of her and Tressa, Lynn really hasn't changed a bit!

So what am I going to get her? Very early on in our marriage, we came up with this arrangement—we rarely buy each other anything. We give each other permission to buy ourselves stuff. Hey, I don’t want Lynn picking out my electronics and she doesn’t want me picking out jewelry! So it just works best if we pick out our own gifts. Hey, that doesn’t sound very romantic, but neither is it romantic for her to have to decide whether she will take back something I bought her or settle for something that she really doesn’t like. It’s not very romantic for her to open a gift, force a smile and say, “Thank you… did you keep the receipt?” But that has happened more than once, so we decided it was just best to cut out the middle man and have her buy her own gift. So now it is a card from Big Lots and “Happy Birthday, Sweetheart; buy yourself something nice.”

The one thing she did ask for is “Pan Pizza Supreme” from Pizza Hut. So I guess now I’m cooking for her birthday too. What a guy!

2 comments:

Bob Clark said...

My dear brother, you "married-up" big time. Happy Birthday, Lynn!

Tuck said...

You are absolutely correct! Of course, she points that to me on occasionally too! ;-)