Monday, January 22, 2007

Great Day Yesterday

OK, let’s get the football stuff out of the way first. The earth shifted on its axis and the sun rose in the west this morning as the Indianapolis Colts were able to exorcise the curse of Tom Brady and beat the New England Patriots in come-from-behind 38-34 thriller. I grew up a (then Baltimore) Colts fan. Johnny Unitas was my hero, as were Raymond Berry, Tom Mattie, John Mackie, Jimmy Orr, Bubba Smith, Mike Curtis, etc. I was 13 in 1969 when the Colts lost Super Bowl III to Joe Namath and his big mouth; I was 15 when the Colts beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl V on a last second field goal by Jim O’Brien. And that was pretty much the last time that anyone ever said the words “Colts” and “Super Bowl” in the same sentence. So I’m enjoying this one! And now I can wear my Peyton Manning jersey to our Super Bowl party… without explaining to everyone that I bought it years ago at A.J. Wright $4.99!

It was good to have Duane Castille speak to our adult classes yesterday. Duane works with Churches of Christ Disaster Relief Fund. When Isabel hit our area in 2003, knocking out electricity for 95% of our area (which lasted for well over a week), CCDRF was there for us. They send three tractor-trailer trucks full of emergency supplies (and frozen zucchini) for us to distribute to our community. (Click here for a report of that 2003 effort). It was good to hear of all the things still going on with that work. In the last 15 months, Church of Christ Disaster Relief has responded to ongoing needs caused by Katrina and more recent disasters by sending almost $23 million dollars in aid—food, water, cleaning supplies, bedding, appliances, etc. This is a great work, and it was good to hear more about it yesterday. I hope we can more involved with them in the future... raising funds and helping others-- not going through another Isabel.

We also had a good crowd stay after church for our Missions Team potluck and report yesterday. We appreciate Dan, Cindy and Joan’s willing to go to Ukraine to help with the church in Zhitomir (and the new work beginning, with God’s help, in Rivna). We have been hearing reports like this one every year since our first trip in 1993, and it is important that we see the pictures and meet the people through these reports. And it was also good to have lunch together. Thanks to the mission committee for hosting this event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this quote was interesting...

"I said a little prayer on that last drive," Manning said. "I don't know if you're supposed to pray for stuff like that, but I said a little prayer."

I figured you could use that for a blog posting AND be able to talk about the colts. I wonder who Roger will be rooting for if you're rooting for Indy... hmm...