Monday, January 29, 2007

Do We Get It?

Evidently, yesterday was my “be content and don’t focus so much on material things” day. Both my Sunday morning sermon series (from Deuteronomy) and Sunday night small group (from Psalm 23) focused on how material things can cause us not to focus on God. In Deuteronomy 8:12-14, Moses warned Israel that moving from the struggles of the desert to the bounty of the Promised Land could cause them to forget about God--

12 When you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, 13 and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

In Psalm 23, the picture of God as our good shepherd making us lie in green pastures and beside calm waters is a picture of a soul content in God. It is not easy for us to lie down and rest in God when we scurry around to collect materials things that ultimately can’t bring contentment.

Both lessons reminded me that our lives must be centered in God and that often it is our pursuit of stuff that pushes us off center. I hope the lessons helped others as well.

But evidently, my subconscious mind just doesn't get it. Last night I had a vivid dream (one of those what seems real). I had just bought a new DVD-Recorder that played in both Blu-Ray and Hi-Def DVD formats (a machine which isn't even on the market yet). The problem was that I couldn’t figure out how to hook the thing into my TV. (That’s the part of the dream that was realistic). It is funny that I would have that dream right after two lessons on contentment and materialism. I guess that maybe deep down I just don’t get it yet.

Maybe deep down, none of us gets it yet. God gives us good things in the life to enjoy. He also gives us good things to share with others. It’s so easy for us to get so focused on the first that we have nothing left over for the second. The one thing that will keep us from seeing the kingdom of God clearly is focusing so intently on the kingdoms of this world.

No comments: