Monday, September 18, 2006

Good to Be Home

It’s good to be home after a week of wandering in the wilderness (driving to and from Arkansas). It was great spending time with my sister Sonya and her family in Nashville (Darcy is still a hoot!) and with my parents in Little Rock (both of them are doing well). And of course, the point of the trip was to pack up Tressa and move her home after her 6 year sojourn in Searcy (4 in school and 2 working). Her friend Courtney and her children rode back with us, and Tressa will take them on to Philadelphia (or actually New Jersey) where they move into their new place this week. (Then Tressa will spend every waking hour finding a job... so if anyone has any leads in the education filed, pass them on). And I also got to spend a little time with Angelynn too... though college girls have little time for their Dads... though she did squeeze in enough time for me to take her to Wal-Mart! It was actually a fun visit… except for all the driving. I was a little concerned that I was going to be stopped by the police on the way home because the car was so overloaded (think “Beverly Hillbillies” without Granny on top in her rocking chair), but we made it.

It was also good to spend time with Mark Pugh yesterday. Mark was in the area attending his 36th high school reunion at Denbigh High School. Mark is a good friend who preaches in Corpus Christi, Texas, and we enjoy getting together at Pepperdine every year for pie and coffee. Mark is a great preacher, and he graciously volunteered to preach in my absence. And it was even better that I came back a day early and was here top hear him and eat lunch with him. The only problem was that he insisted on showing the picture at right, a 1967 shot from dear old Camp Idlewild. From left to right (back row), Sonny Respess (Clarita Gay’s brother), Greg Hammer, (front row), Tommy Dossett, Bobby Dossett, The Unknown Camper (can anyone help identify him?), me (the one with the gangsta sneer going on) and Robert Pugh (Mark’s middle brother, now deceased). We are a bunch of cool dudes, aren’t we?

My original plan was to stay over thr weekend in Nashville with my sister and go to church with her at Otter Creek (I’ve not yet see their new building), but we decided to come home. When you get right down to it, there is no place that I would rather worship than right here with my Denbigh family. And especially throw in some good preaching, and why would I want to go anywhere else? It’s good to be home.

1 comment:

skatterbrainz said...

Holy cow - I knew a Sonny Respess in Hampton years ago. I'm not sure if that's the same one. He had a younger half-brother named Jimmy. If it's the same Sonny, do you know how he's doing now?