Monday, September 25, 2006

A Day of Praise

Well, I am absolutely exhausted. I’m usually pretty tired on Monday mornings. Not only is the designation of Sunday as “Christian Sabbath” theologically dubious, it is also pragmatically incorrect-- Sunday often anything but restful! But yesterday was a particularly exhausting day of praise. I preached on David rejoicing, so we sang about half of the up-tempo praise songs that we know to emphasize that theme. And then we sang the other half (one after the other) during our special “Evening of Praise” last night. In case you weren't keeping score, we sang 12 songs yesterday morning and 16 last night! I don’t know how the praise team held up so well, but I was completely sung out! The words of an old song came to mind, “I’m tired of words and I’m too hoarse to shout.” (That’s probably the only time I’ll quote Meat Loaf in reference to worship!)

Yesterday was a wonderful day of praise; I truly felt God’s presence in our worship. Now understand that is a statement about me, not about God. Our God is not a genie in a bottle that we can summon to our side if we do worship just right. God is just as much present among us when our singing drags, the sermon is a bit stale and our prayers seem to go no higher than the ceiling. But sometimes the act of worship touches us in such a special way so that we become more aware of His presence. Moses asked Israel, “What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?” (Deut 4:7). God was near to His people, but they needed to be reminded of that.

Worship should always reminds us of the presence of God. The words of our songs and prayers, the teaching of scripture, the symbolism of communion all point us to God being near. But sometimes any of that or all of that touches our emotions in such a way that we feel His presence more powerfully. Indeed, we serve a God who is so near to us. I am so grateful that my church and worship can touch me in ways that allows me to feel and experience that nearness so powerfully.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was a great time! Thanks for all your work in planning the day.

Anonymous said...

I hate that I missed it! Honestly though, Anna Caroline and I have felt closer to God the moment we got to Denbigh. We can never thank you enough for your fellowship, friendship, and compassion, and especially you Tuck for allowing God to speak through you when preach. I miss everyone and I look forward to seeing you when I get back from Alaska.