Tuesday, April 11, 2006

For Such a Time As This

Christian song writer Wayne Watson attended the 1997 Super Bowl with Ken Ruettgers, a friend and former Green Bay Packer player. Green Bay won the big game, and Packer fans went crazy as they finally celebrated the championship that had eluded them since the days of Vince Lombardi. As the final seconds ticked away, Watson noticed that his friend had grown quiet. Ruettgers had played for the Packers for eleven seasons during lean times when they weren't winning. He had retired, washed up at the age of 33. The Packer victory reminded him of how empty and purposeless his life felt. Watson saw the struggle in his friend, and he began to think—

It occurred to me that everybody really gets to that point in their lives at one time or another when we have to realize that we have got to go on. And if God gives us breath to live today, that we are here for a reason and that God's not through with us.
That experience reminded him of the words Mordecai spoke to Esther in Esther 4, and he wrote a song entitled "For Such a Time as This." These words remind us all that God is waiting to use us to accomplish things that we may not have never imagined.
Now, all I have is now; To be faithful, to be holy,
And to shine, lighting up the darkness right now
I really have no choice but to voice the truth to the nations;
A generation looking for God.
For such a time as this I was placed upon the earth,
To hear the voice of God, and do His will, whatever it is
For such a time as this, for now and all the days he gives
I am here, I am here, and I am His for such a time as this.

What is it that God has for you to do today? What has be brought you right her and right now to accomplish? What is the darkness into which He has brought you here to shine his light? How can you be that voice of truth to the nations? You are here-- are you His?

No comments: