Friday, April 21, 2006

Amen and Amen

Our church has never really been into “amen-ing” the preacher. I'vew really never thought too much about it, but it has been a bit disconcerting for visiting speakers who are used to a more animated audience. And there are times when I think it would be nice if we had a few more amens. Of course, this is more a matter of culture than an indication of how closely the church is listening to the sermon (at least, I choose to believe that). It may be that we are a little too dignified and cultured for our good!

Maybe we could stand a few more “amens” around here. After all, “amen” is most likely the most common word in human language. That is because it was transliterated from the Hebrew into Greek, and then into Latin and most other languages. If you are listening to someone pray in a foreign language, you will likely know when they are done because you will hear “amen.”

The word come from the Hebrew (aman), which means "believe" or "faithful." It is an expression of trust. “Amen at the end of a prayer doesn’t mean “the end” or even just “I agree with you.” It really means “and so it will be!” It is an expression of trust. English versions of the New Testament often translate “amen” as "verily" or "truly" when it is not used in prayer. One of Jesus’ favorite expressions is, “Verily, verily” (KJV). This expression rather like that of Beretta on the old TV show, “And you can take that to the bank.” That’s why it is spoken at the end of prayers. That’s why it is spoken at the end of doxology, “For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.” (Rom 11:36)

I think we do need a few more “amens” around here. I’m not talking about while I’m preaching (although I’ll take that when I can get it). I’m talking about our faith— we need more “amens” in our lives. “Amen” is a title that is used for Jesus in Revelation 3:14, “These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness.” We can know that His Word is faithful and true, and we need to live like we know that it is true. Paul says this in 2 Corinthians 1:20-22-

20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. 21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
The Corinthians had problems and struggles, and they needed an “Amen!” We have problems and struggles too-- and we need an “Amen.” His word is always to be trusted. When He speaks, you can take it to the bank. We need to live our lives confident of God's "Yes!" spoken over us.