Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Services

"Boy, this must be a busy time of year for you!" I get that a lot when people find out that I'm a minister. This is the Christmas, and churches do a lot of special things during this time of the year. I got a postcard from the Presbyterian church across the street advertising their special Christmas services-- two on Christmas Eve, one on Christmas Day and one the day after Christmas. There have been times in the past when we have done Christmas plays for children. One year we did a big Christmas musical entitled "I'll Be Home for Christmas" that involved 1/2 of our church. We'll have our "Christmas service" this Sunday where we sing Christmas songs and
reflect on the meaning of birth of Jesus. So we're not opposed to that sort of thing (though we usually get someone from internet-land writing in to complain that we would do something so "denominational.")

Well, we certainly aren't opposed to doing special things during this special time of the year. But one thing is usually true of our church Christmas services-- they are never on Christmas! Most of our church is from other places, so generally when school lets out, our church lets out and scatters to the four winds. We can't plan anything special during the holidays because we can't count on people being in town. So while many churches are planning big Christmas eve services for next Wednesday, we're trying to decide whether to have services at all! Maybe we'll just anoint next Wednesday as "stay at home night" for the few people who aren't out of town anyway.

So this isn't particularly busy time of year for me. I still have a week of vacation time left, and I think I'm going to take it and let Roger preach the Sunday after Christmas.

8 comments:

Roger said...

I am all for you being a little more busy and coming back to preach on the Sunday following Christmas...no really I am serious...I'm not kidding...please, please, please!!! :)

Tuck said...

No, I am feeling a little under-appreciated lately. It is good that one person is anxious for me to preach.

Roger said...

I got your back

Roger said...

BTW if you want, we can just discuss this over a cup of coffee

looneybinmom said...

Tuck, as much as I enjoy your preaching, Roger needs to stretch a little now and then...I say you let him preach....

looneybinmom said...

Ok, I know my vote holds no weight since we aren't members anymore, but I can't harass Roger very easily from Texas and must take all opportunities to do so via the internet.

Roger, I KNOW you are missing my banana bread this year.

Roger said...

Kate, it is good to talk to you even though it is through someone else's blog.
I really do like banana bread and I've never had any better than yours.
We miss the Looney's up here in VA but am very happy that Jason, Brittany and Ethan are back in VA with us.
Have a Merry Christmas and if you get a chance you can mail me some BB...I'm sure it will still be good!

Tuck said...

So far the only comment in favor of Roger preaching is from someone who lives in Texas