So, is rock and roll an addiction disorder? Well, if he really attends that many heavy metal concerts, he will likely eventually become deaf, and that IS a legitimate disability! If we want to call Tullgren’s behavior an addiction, then that is OK. Or we can call it an obsession, an extreme passion or a manic fascination. The label really doesn’t matter. What does matter is that we not excuse the personal responsibility that Mr. Tullgren has in choosing music over gainful employment. An addictive behavior does not remove responsibility. One skeptical psychologist comments on the Tullgren story, “If somebody has a gambling addiction, we don't send them down to the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction, not encourage it.”
Nature and nurture factors leading to our moral choices do not remove responsibility from making those choices. Some people are prone by nature or nurture or both to easily loose their temper. Or to abuse alcohol or drugs. Or to homosexual attraction. Or to any number of things. But ultimately the choice to engage in immoral behavior is just that—a moral choice for which we are responsible. We need to understand the forces that drive our addictive behaviors because that helps us to overcome those behaviors. But as in the case of Mr. Tullgren, very often we rather use them to excuse behavior and mitigate moral responsibility.
At some point, someone should have told Tullgren, “Dude, you can’t keep acting like Beavis and the other guy; you gotta grow up and take responsibility for your life. Sloth is irresponsible and immoral, and you need to stop it now.” Whatever our sin struggle, that is what we need to tell ourselves. And that is what we need others to tell us as well!
2 comments:
I can understand roger’s problem but I can’t live with him. You see I am obsessed with headaches that sometimes last for days and heavy metal makes it worse. I have one now so I took a _____pill and stayed home from work. I know there are many bad things that can become an obsession or an addiction. So why not replace the bad with something good? Something that helps you and others! Bad habits don’t develop overnight, advice to the young MR. Tullgrens out there is. “Dude check yourself before you wreak yourself”. . . “nip it in the bud.”
I like the "nip-it-in-the-bud" reference and think you are right on the mark!
Roger, over and out!
Post a Comment