Could it be that it is precisely because of all of those things that we are less happy today? Could out rising affluence push us to acquire more and more of things and thus leave room for less and less happiness? We never can keep up with the Jones’ and our effort to do so leads to more debt, more stress, more anxiety and much less self-fulfillment. There is an interesting article in Newsweek by Robert J. Samuelson entitled “The Bliss We Can't Buy.” He suggests that economists have recently been studying this question to find out why we aren’t as happy. Ultimately they won’t find answers; happiness is not an economic question. Notice this quote from Samuelson’s article—
The old adage is true: money can't buy happiness. We ultimately get satisfaction from our relations with family and friends, the love we give or receive, the meaning we find in work, service, religion or hobbies.
The American Dream has often been couched in terms of things—2 cars, 2.5 kids, the house in the suburbs, etc. That is not a recent development. Alexis de Tocqueville observed in 1840, “Besides the good things which he possesses, [the American] fancies a thousand others... This thought fills him with anxiety, fear, and regret.” There is the problem with looking to stuff for happiness—you can never have enough stuff.
Jesus warned a young man (and us) long ago, “Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). Ultimately what money buys is diversion, not true meaning or lasting happiness. In fact, pursing and possessing money can divert us from both meaning and happiness. Integrity before God, good relationships, meaningful work—that is the stuff of true happiness. Pile up a bunch of cool junk, and you just might end up being the same unhappy person with a pile of cool junk… and looking to add to the pile.
3 comments:
You can have all the new 'stuff' and still not be happy. It is relationships that make me ‘happy’ and most importantly a relationship with God. And when those relationships are gone, sometimes we try to fill the holes left with 'stuff'. And that just does not work.
I am happy and I am happiest when I share with others that which makes us truly happy. Things don’t make me happy they are just tools and when I can use those tools to do good work I am made happier. If I had all the tools in the world I would be no happier and I would not be able to use them all and would have a difficult time distributing them to those who need them.
No things don’t make me happy. If I have what I need for me and my family to live stay healthy and help others do the same, what more is there to do put sing praises and give thanksgivings to the one who created all and those who use it for his glory.
I remember as a child growing up being happy with waking up and going outside and watching the sun come up. Just being with my brothers, sisters, friends, parents. Every happy thought I remember as to do with a relational activity. It didn't change as I went from dirt poor to at least self sufficient. The things I think of fondly from long past until yesterday have nothing to do with what I bought or can by or possess. Even though I know this, still I ponder what I haven't got or hanker for what I see. I struggle each day, but I am more and more aware of the truly good things in life. At the least, it makes it easier for me to deal with what I can't get and to live within what I can afford. I guess I'm pretty happy and striving for very happy. And I know its something I can't buy.
Post a Comment