I remember pouring though pages of tiny print in the Daily Press looking for the names of my daughters published the honor rolls of the various schools in the area. That long list of names wasn’t exactly hard news, but it was fun to see their name in the paper. I appreciated the school and paper colluding to give them this honor. Parents in Needham, Massachusetts no longer enjoy that privilege. Needham High School refuses to publish the names of students who make the honor roll because the school does not want to contribute to students' stress level in “this high expectations-high-achievement culture.” It seems that the honor roll represented “an unhealthy focus on grades.” Hey, that makes sense; I thought my school and parents had an “unhealthy interest in grades” when I was a kid!
Somehow not publishing the honor roll because it promotes “an unhealthy interest in grades” in school seems rather silly. Do the jocks still get to wear their letter jackets or does that promote an unhealthy interest in sports? Do singers in the school chorus and actors in school plays still get their names published in the program? Doesn't it seem rather logical for the school to recognize students for doing well in their classes?
I think we need to publish an honor roll at church. I don’t think the church here does a very good job of recognizing all the things our people do to serve God. I was in the office last night after services and there was Myra Bowser copying the lessons that she uses in her jail ministry classes she teaches. Down the hall, Richard Pitmann was still in a classroom with folks even though class had officially been over for 30 minutes, too wrapped up in people to worry about the time. Hayward Glaspell had been here at the building as much as I had been the last 3 days unstopping toilets and performing other equally glamorous tasks that no one knows about… unless it doesn’t get done. I could go on and on, but here's the point. How many of us know how much Myra, Richard and Hayward do for God?
I wish we had an honor roll to make sure that our churhc knows of all the service and sacrifice that goes on by their brothers and sisters. Yes, Jesus warns us to make sure that we never do our acts of devotion in order to be seen by others (Matt 6:1). But Paul shares the generous giving of the Philippians with the church at Corinth so their example would inspire and motivate others (2 Cor 8:1ff). I think we need to do a better job challenging ourselves with one another’s examples of faithfulness. I think we need to be better at giving “honor to whom honor is owed” (Rom 13:7, ESV). We don’t have an honor roll, but we do have the “Good Egg” column in the bulletin. We have thank-you cards and pats-on-the-back we can share when we catch someone doing good deeds. We need to make better use of all of these.
1 comment:
I was in 2nd 3rd and 4th grade, recall a chart put on the wall in bible study class ; there was the names of everyone in the class with my name. And there were blank boxes beside each name. The teacher explained we would be tested on a regular basis we were expected to memories the order and spelling of the books of the old and new testament. As the weeks past the boxes filled in across the chart beside almost every name. Every week there was that reminder hanging on the wall. It had a demoralizing effect on a student who had trouble remembering how to spell his middle name. I remember how it effected me. That is why I do not allow myself to be put on display or put myself in a position were I will be sniggered at and pointed at. (That would be crazy and self destructive) to expose myself or anyone to such.
Post a Comment