I think I got the worst haircut in history last week. OK, it wasn’t as bad as the one General Custer got at Little Bighorn, but close. One of the handicaps of wearing glasses is you can't see when your hair is in the process of getting clipped too short. I had a great conversation with the stylist as she kept cutting and cutting… and cutting and cutting. After she was done, I didn’t know whether to complain or go out and join the Marines! Come to think of it, the girl at the counter at the movie last night (The Nativity Story) did ask if I got the military discount. Must have been the haircut! When Fred White said something to me about my haircut, I told him, “Yeah, well, at least mine will grow back!”
The movie was great! Everyone in our small group seemed to really enjoy it. I thought that the story was told with a great deal of respect and attention to detail. One "dramatic license" had the Magi to visit Jesus at the stable on the night of his birth. Matthew makes it clear that Jesus was in a house by the time the Magi arrived (Matt 2:11). While Luke calls Jesus “an infant” (brephos), Matthew refers to him as “the child” (paidion). The movie has the slaughter of the innocents and the flight to Egypt take place on the same night that Jesus was born while Luke had Jesus presented at the Temple after the time of purification (33 days), which would not have happened if he the family was already on the run from Herod.
There may have been other miscues, but I didn’t notice them—I was too wrapped up the story. And that says something—this is a very familiar story and yet the movie managed to keep us engaged while telling it. The social stigma faced by Mary and Joseph, the faith with which they faced their situation, the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth, the struggle of the poor and desire for the coming of Messiah, and the insanity that drove Herod—it was well done. The only shocking thing about the movie was the $9 ticket price. OK, so it's been awhile since we've paid full price to see movie!
One of the secular reviews I read suggested that The Nativity Story was beautifully filmed but lacked any real spirit with which to engage the audience. I totally disagree. The audience I was with was definitely engaged and thought the movie had plenty of spirit. But then, we know the Star!
No comments:
Post a Comment