I have to admit that all the hoopla over the World Cup escaped me. I know that soccer (called “football” by parts of the world who don’t have real football) is called “the beautiful sport.” But I just don’t get it. One of the things that gives human beings an edge over the animal kingdom is our opposable thumbs… so we invent a sport where you can’t use you hands? The most significant moment in sports history was in 1823 when William Ebb Ellis picked up the soccer ball during a match and ran with it! Well, it could be that a few folks don’t share my lack of appreciation of soccer. It is the most popular sport in the world... by far. It was estimated that 1.1 billion people watched the World Cup final on television. That means that roughly one sixth of the world’s population saw French star Zinedine Zidane's meltdown and head butt an Italian opponent! And FIFI estimates that if you counted all the people who watched the entire World Cup event including all the qualifying matches, the number would be 28.8 billion.
OK, so soccer is popular. I'll grant you that. Big deal. Just because a lot of people take something seriously, that doesn't does make it serious, right? Consider the following “serious” sporting events—
- Checkers: Ron King (great name for a checker player) won the U.S. checkers championship in Medina, Ohio. He is known as “Muhammad Ali of checkers” because he trash-talks opponents. Also competing was Alex "The Mad Russian" Moiseyev. These guys take their checkers very seriously.
- Polo: The Gilgit tribe beat Chitral, 9-6 in their annual no rules allowed Pakastani polo match. No rules means if opponent gets in the way, club him! (Just like in the World Cup). You can’t hit the guy’s horse though; that’s frowned on. When a star player was “killed” (really “only” a broken neck and concussion), fans screamed for him to be dragged away so the match could continue! Tough crowd.
What makes soccer the world’s sport is that a lot of people watch it! Profound, huh? If more people watched, then guys would make millions playing checkers, and No-Rules-Polo would be “the beautiful sport.” Right? Just because a lot of people watch something, doesn’t make it good. It just makes it popular.
At the risk of overstating the point, Christians need to have a very healthy skepticism of the popular. (I'm talking about life here, not sports). Is it true that we are to not love the world or the things in the world? (1 John 2:15). Is it true that the world in its wisdom does not know God? (1 Cor 1:21). Is it true that to follow Christ, we must follow Him outside the camp of the world? (Heb 13:13, July 12 blog). Because something is popular does not necessarily make it good. Christians need to be very careful when following the crowd unless we know where the crowd is going!
OK, if you like soccer, that great! It was a good World Cup. I was just kidding around a little; I’m not trying to pick a fight. (The last think I need is a head butt from some outraged soccer fan.) Sometimes something that is popular can be good as well. But I’m more of a purest. I am a fan of Arkansas Razorback football… which is usually neither popular nor good!
3 comments:
If the beauty of American football is the opposable thumb then maybe it should be called "handball" or since that sport is already taken maybe "opposable thumb ball."
As for the headbutting incident we all have our bad moments. I recall a local sports figure who found himself stomping his cleats into a players leg during a bowl game on national TV.
Mike Cope poses an interesting question today on his blogg of being in the world verses of the world, which is the greater temptation for churches?
BTW: I think what makes soccer popular is that it is "played" all over the world not just watched.
GO Mountaineers!!!
I think you may be right that the reason soccer is watched is because soccer is played all over the world. All you need to play is some players and something to kick (a ball, a rock, a preacher).
I like the "Opposable Thumbball" suggestion. For most of my teams it would be "All Thumbs Ball"
I did notice that you didn't have "Go Mancester United" or some other soccer team at the end of your post. (Does West Virginia have a level field big enough to play soccer?)
I see that y'all use your "opposable thumb" typing skills to "talk" instead of using your non-opposable vocal chords. :)
Post a Comment