Well, Friday night turned out to be quite an experience! It wasn’t exactly a surprise 50th birthday party. I mean, I knew that I was having a birthday party... and was fairly sure I was turning fifty. But wow! It was really something! I had been kept completely in the dark about any of the details. For the past three weeks, Lynn has taken all phone calls in secret (I was beginning to get paranoid). I was expecting a few folks for dinner and maybe some good-natured ribbing... but I had no idea that there was going to be all the hoopla!Will and Michelle really outdid themselves with the “This-Is-Your-Life” video (of course, they are waaaay too young to remember the “This Is Your Life” TV show, right?) Len and Anna Caroline (and the group) did a great job with the “It’s All Right (to Turn Fifty)” song. And whoever it was that talked Len out of the "viagra" line in the song... thank you.
Millard with help from his trusty (or rusty) sidekick Randy was hysterical (mostly) with the comedy routine. I especially liked the "never got a dinner" routine. And I do appreciate him making me feel younger—most of his jokes were way older than me! I greatly appreciated all of you who brought gifts. Even though it expressly forbidden. The thank you cards will be on the way.
Lynn did a fantastic job putting this all together, all the while keeping me pretty much in the dark (of course, that part wasn’t all that hard since I am pretty clueless). She cooked most of the food herself and took care of most of the details. What a blessing she has been in every part of well over half of my fifty years of life!
I was humbled and embarassed by all the attention. After all, all that one really has to do to turn fifty is just hang around long enough. All of those who participated in Friday night really make me glad that I have hung around this long. I have truly been blessed by God to have been a part of this church family. Thank you for my night; it really was something special.


No comments:
Post a Comment