Monday, May 08, 2006

Have You Ever Been to the Ocean?

One of my tasks for today is to write a letter to Dr. Jerry Rushford at Pepperdine University. The purpose of the letter is two-fold. First, I need to thank him for his stellar work in putting together the 2006 Pepperdine Bible Lectures. Second, I am supposed to (at his request) make suggestions on how the lectures can be improved for next year. The first task is easy. I am so thankful to Pepperdine (for sharing this event), to my church at Denbigh (for allowing me to go each year) and to God (from whom all blessings flow).

The second part of my task is much more problematic. How could the lectures be improved? What would I change about the experience? How could our yearly Pepperdine adventure be better? I don’t know? We did have a slightly leaky facet and a burned-out bulb in our bathroom. But we had a private bathroom while most other people had to share with three other families, so I don’t think I’ll mention that. Actually, I’m not sure that the experience can be improved. Which is strange… it just seems to get better and better each year!

Jeff Walling tells of a cousin from Iowa who visited him when he lived in California. The cousin had never seen the ocean, so Jeff took him to the beach. The cousin was blown away by the awesome power and expanse of the sea. He decided he had to share the ocean with his friends and family, so he took a mayonnaise jar of ocean water home with him. Somehow a jar of ocean water just does not capture the vastness of the ocean. I feel that way when I try to explain to others about the Pepperdine lectures. You just have to go and experience it for yourself. I was thrilled that two other families from Denbigh (the Guthrie’s and Tanner’s) were there wading in the ocean with us. I hope that next year even more can make the trek to Malibu.

We did bring back a mayonnaise jar of sorts. All three families bought CD's of lectures. As I write this, iTunes and my laptop are busy converting these for my iPod. Eventually these will be available to any of you who want copies. Listening to the CD's won't be the same as being there, but then your legs won't be aching from climbing the hundreds of steps up and down the cliffs at Malibu.

It's good to be back!

No comments: