It was quite a shock for me to learn that I don’t really believe in baptism for the remission of sins. You, I always thought that I believed precisely that. That’s what I thought I thought when I wrote the following in a blog entitled “Baptism and the Sinner’s Prayer” back in 2009--
The New Testament presents baptism as the response of faith in the accepting God’s grace in salvation. Peter offers a baptism “for the remission of sins” to believers on Pentecost (Acts 2:38). And we offer believers today the same response of faith. If you have never been baptized based upon your faith in Christ, then we offer that to you. I think we are on firm Biblical ground when we offer it.There is a version of that blog that is posted on the “What We Believe” page of our church web site. There are a dozen or so entries on my blog on the subject of baptism. I have preached sermon series on baptism and taught 13-week class series on baptism. Every sermon that I preach ends with an invitation to people to meet Jesus at the cross in faith, repentance and baptism. (Recently I had a conversation with someone who thought my formal invitations were unnecessary and passe ... which they are if I don't really believe in baptism for the remission of sins. The point here is that I sure seem to spend a lot of time talking about something that I supposedly don’t believe in!
So why would someone get the idea that I don’t believe in baptism for the remission of sins? Probably because while I do believe that baptism is "for the remission of sins," I also believe that this isn't the only reason the New Testament mentions for baptism. There are several other things that baptism is “for.”
- To fulfill all righteousness (Matt 3:15)
- To have a good conscience (1 Peter 3:21)
- To commit to a life of discipleship (Matt 28:19)
- To receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)
- To have sins washed away (Acts 22:16)
- To become part of the Body (2 Cor 12:12-13)
- To put on Christ as a garment (Gal 3:27)
- To be saved (Mark 16:16)
Please don’t tell people that I don’t believe in baptism for the remission of sins. I do. Now, you may feel free to tell people that I don’t believe Baptists are going to hell because their baptismal theology is out of whack. You may tell people that I believe that God can save people through baptism who don't fully understand how He works in baptism. You can tell people that I believe that God saves people through what Jesus did on the cross and not what we do in our precise theological and liturgical formulations. But please don't tell people that I don;t believe in something that I do so obviously believe in.
Thank you. I feel better now!

2 comments:
Yeah, but do you REALLY believe in baptism?
Sorry. Can't help but laugh not at you, but with you I hope. Now if we can just get this "the church is not a building" question resolved.
What? The church is NOT a building? Since when?
Post a Comment