Reiser's routine was really very funny... and also very, very wrong. Things that are said often do hurt others. We may want to believe that “sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me.” But we all know that this really isn't true—words hurt. James warns us about the unlimited power of our words to destroy, "The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell" (James 3:6). An entire section of this epistle (James 3:1-12) is devoted to warnings about our language. I'm just saying.
I ran across an article on Christian Post entitled “Poisonous Recipe: How to Destroy Your Church” that illustrates the power of our words to destroy. The article suggests how we can go about tearing up the church with the power of thoughtless, hurtful language. Here’s a partial list--
- Be a whisperer or gossip (Proverbs 16:28)
- Hold others to a higher standard than yourself (Proverbs 11:9)
- Assume the worst of others (Psalm 41:7)
- Listen to rumors against others (Proverbs 17:4)
- Repeat every rumor you hear (Proverbs 17:9)
So let’s hear no more of that "I'm just saying" nonsense. The words we use are extremely important. In fact. Jesus says, "For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt 12:37). I’m just saying.

No comments:
Post a Comment