Thursday, March 01, 2012

Sad But True

Last week, the state senate of Maryland by a voted to recognize homosexual marriage by a 25 to 22 margin. Gov. Martin O’Malley has said that he would sign to sign this bill into law, which makes Maryland the seventh state to legalize homosexual marriage. To win passage in the House of Delegates, there was a compromise that allows opponents to place the new law on the November ballot, leaving the possibility for opponents to repeal it. Polls show that Maryland is almost evenly divided on this issue, so the November referendum means that it will not be politics as usual in Maryland this fall.

This will likely prove a difficulty for President Obama. The president has been soliciting support from the gay community in his reelection campaign, but he has stopped short of fully embracing marriage rights In the last election, Obama expressed opposition to gay marriage, but now he has hinted that his views are “evolving.” Supporters of the bill will likely pressure him to weigh in on the referendum in November, and that is a problem for him. African-American church leaders in Maryland have led the charge opposing the measure. It is those church leaders who are expected to encourage grass-roots Democratic support. The Washington Post suggests, “If the debate in Maryland’s legislature is any guide, the mixture of emotions among African Americans over gay marriage will not be an easy issue for Obama to navigate.”  Politics is often the practice of being able to say with a straight face, “I have friends on one side of this issue and friends on the other side of this issue… and I always stand with my friends!” It seems like it is going to be hard for the president to stand with his friends on this one!

We need to decide where we are going to stand here.  It seems to me that part of being created in the image of God is being created male and female (Gen 1:27). That statement of our unity with God and diversity of gender because the foundation of marriage, not only for Adam and Eve, but for all time. Paul argues in Romans 1:26-27 that same gender sex is a violation of the natural created order—
For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones, and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. (NET)
Bible doesn't say nearly as much about homosexuality as it might appear given all the rhetoric these days.  But what the Bible does say is very consistent from the Old to the New Testament. Not everyone weighing in on this issue cares about the Bible' not everyone who cares about the Bible reads it the same.  But because of how I read it, I am left with little choice on where to stand.

To be perfectly honest, the Bible isn't any more clear on homosexual marriage as it is on heterosexual divorce.  In fact, the Bible is probably clearer on divorce.  So why are the no political movements by evangelicals to outlaw divorce? Why are the very politicians who speak the loudest of protecting marriage often the biggest offenders when it comes to divorce? It is a sad but true fact that many Christians who see homosexual marriage as a great threat to the institution of marriage look at divorce among us as a sad but true fact! I’m personally just not too interested in hearing people scream about the sin of homosexual marriage unless they are equally opposed to heterosexual divorce, not in the way they vote but in the way they live with their husbands and wives.

2 comments:

~ Hermelynda ~
Walking with Wisdom Leading My Steps
said...

Your words have inspired the thought "Oh what a tangled web [they] weave" when there is no consistency in their values.

Inconsistent values incurs inconsistent support and inconsistent results.

When I imagine what it would be like to be President; no doubt my imagination can not even come close to actually walking in his shoes especially when it comes to him determining his steps on honoring the constitution in such a modernized age. I could not deal with the stress behind it.

If our Founding Fathers' were able to foresee the tangled web that we are living in today; The rise of LBGT activists; the rise of coming out of the closet. They would foresee that the LGBT communities greatest advantage is their vote, their growing number could make or break the good intentions of our president. A President who is working hard to implement a state of improvement and benefits for Americans who need it the most; may go downhill if he is against Homosexual marriage.

What a tangled web indeed.

Would they specifically speak of excluding homosexuality when we read "All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; that of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property; in fine, that of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness"?

The president is held is expected to honor without biased opinion right? American citizens must respect and honor those words that "All men are born free and equal, and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights;" with biased opinion right?

This is where I sit in torture. Because I have such a strong belief that a man and woman were made for each other. A man was naturally made to sow his seed and a woman was naturally made to receive it.

But there are homosexuals who have expressed that they were naturally born that way and/or have known at a very young age that they were attracted to the same sex.

It has put me in a place where I agree to disagree because who am I to judge and take away their natural right and happiness according to the constitution?

I have a long ways to go in reading the Bible in its entirety but is it not according to God not to speak and do evil to another for the decisions that they make?

I ask this not specifically to you but your reply is welcome. I am just thinking aloud with the attempt to solidify how I feel about this subject matter.

It gets so complicated that I raise my hands up to God and I give it all to him while I maintain my values and beliefs that a man is made for a woman and even if I disapprove of homosexuality; all mankind deserves some respect for the lifestyle they choose to live. I live to God because the Judgement of God is greater than my own.

~~~~

Divorce is another matter that frustrates me. I refuse to get married only to get divorced.

It all comes down to influence. Who is setting the example of Marriage? If children and young adults do not have good examples around them, they'll continue the cycle of poor of marriage which will inevitably lead to divorce.

Being a politician is just a title, a politician is a human being first and always foremost so they must lead by example if their going to make decisions that will effect a nation.

What a tangled web indeed....

Alan Smith said...

Great observation, Tuck!