My generation just doesn't have stories with the same punch. “Why, when I was your age, we didn’t have remote control’ we had to get up off the couch and walk across the room to change the channels.” In fact, we had to change the channel with a pair of pliers because the TV channel selection knob on our ancient black-n-white TV was broken for years. Somehow that just doesn’t stack up with my Dad’s stories.
Or Paul. Paul’s gives a description of his “good old days” in preaching the gospel. To the folks at Corinth, some of whom has doubted his authority as an apostle, he recounts what he went through “back in the day” in order to preach the gospel—
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:24-28)I really don’t have stories like that. My great-grandfather would ride the train to Texas to preach a meeting and then didn't get paid enough for a return ticket home. I don't have stories like that. Last Sunday, I had a huge canker sore (or “mouth ulcer”) on my tongue, and it literally hurt me to talk as I preached Sunday. Not much of a story. I once had someone tell me after a Sunday sermon, "You are a terrible preacher and I would never come to church here!" I wanted to say, "Good!" But that's even not much of a story.
I wonder if preaching and living the gospel has gotten a bit too easy for us (or for me) in this land of freedom and prosperity. I wonder if we have all gotten a bit spoiled and maybe a little entitled in our expectations of faith. Ultimately, the real problem is not that the stories that we pass down to the next generation are a little weak; the problem is that maybe the faith we pass on may be a little weak as well.
1 comment:
Sorry, Tuck, but I think our stories about a childhood without computers, without cell phones, without iPods, without video games, without movie rentals are just as pitiful as our parents' stories! You mention no remote controls, but what about having only THREE channels to choose from? Not so bad? Try asking your children to live in that kind of world for a month and see how they survive! No, it was rough! We were deprived, but didn't even know it! ;-)
Post a Comment