Tuesday, May 26, 2009

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

I spent Sunday night alone in the Sleep Clinic. Lynn finally laid down the law in her gentle but firm way-- either I spend one night without her letting them figure out what can be done about my snoring OR I spend the rest of my nights without her. I chose the one night. As it turns out, I do snore... which surprised no one in our house (or on our block). But I also have sleep apnea, which did surprise us at bit. This is good news. Insurance companies consider loud snoring to be a merely social problem which they don’t cover at all. The surgeries or dental appliances needed to stop problem snoring are not covered, though broken ribs received from flying elbows because of chronic snoring are covered. But insurance companies do consider sleep apnea to be a medical problem, and they will evidently pay for all kinds of high tech machines. I am waiting for mine.

I never really thought I was eithger tired in the morning or sleepy in the afternoons, usually symptons of the condition. Sleep apnea wakes you up continually throughout the night so that you can get a breathe. You never get awake enough to remember waking, but you are not ever asleep enough to get the restorative sleep you need. Well, I never thought I was that tired during. In fact, I checked "no" several times on the questionnaires they give you prior to your sleep clinic stay. I don't get sleepy during the day.

But ever since they told me I have sleep apnea, I am seem to be tired all the time. It's the power of suggestion, I guessssssssssss. Sorry, must have dozed off. Paul said that he had “often gone without sleep” (2 Cor 11:27). Apparently, I have been following Paul’s example and haven’t even know it!

No comments: