Roger suggested that I look at Patrick Mead's blog entitled Tentpegs. Patrick (who at one time preached at Grandy Street in Norfolk) is answering tough questions that his readers send in. (If I ever get readers, I may try that. Then again...) Since his question and answer for today is about the passage I preached on Sunday, I thought I would cut and paste it. That and because it is so much easier than writing something of my own. Warning, this is a l-o-o-o-o-n-g blog entry, though it is about average for Patrick's entries--
What happens to the righteous after they die? Do they sleep somewhere until God wakes them up on the last day? Are they conscious at all? Do they go to heaven? Are they in paradise? Are the dead aware of what is going on on earth? When we are resurrected, is it just our bodies or are our souls remade or resurrected, too?
I knew the answers to all of these questions — and more! — when I was a kid. Long before PowerPoint or MediaShout, we had bedsheet sermons, sometimes called "chart" sermons. For those sad, poor, ignorant people who don’t know what I am talking about, a bedsheet sermon wasn’t a lesson on the Song of Solomon but, rather, a bedsheet strung in front of the auditorium and festooned with illustrations, lurid colors, scripture references, and a really cool title. We loved these sermons because there was something other than a preacher to look at during the lesson. Besides, it was as close to "art" as we were allowed to get in the church. (think I’m kidding? When our church bought a Methodist building, my father had them remove or cover the stained glass windows. The beautiful altar rail and furniture on the stage were all removed and replaced with a plain wooden pulpit and a bench seat for the song leader and preacher to use. This was normal in my religious tribe)
An aside: once when we were visited by several Big Preachers in the Brotherhood at the same time, my mother ran out of sheets and had to get creative. She made up a bed for me in a corner of the house. When I pulled back the blanket to climb in I was greeted with huge letters asking "Where Are The Dead?" This is one eight year old that didn’t sleep well that night. I kept fearing that I would unwittingly roll over on the "tartarus" section and, if Jesus came back, he might leave me there.
Anyway, "Where Are The Dead?" was a very, very popular sermon. Most traveling preachers had a version of that bedsheet sermon and it had been made into a tract (religious booklet) and a flimstrip that gave most of us kids the heebie-jeebies. Taking most of its material from the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man in Luke 16, this was a very cool sheet. Dead people who were righteous were "carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom" and deposited in Paradise, one of the three subsections of Hades, the waiting place for the dead. The other two places were Tartarus — a place of torment for the wicked — and the Great Gulf, or the area that lay between Paradise and Tartarus that was so wide that no one could cross from one place to the other.
Then… one day… Jesus would come again. Arrows on the sheet showed souls from Paradise meeting up with Jesus and then meeting up with their resurrected bodies and entering heaven (after formal judgment). Souls in Tartarus met their bodies, too, but they were then tossed from the fire in Tartarus to the fires in hell so their situation didn’t really change much.
There are problems with this view… but there are also problems with every other view I have seen. I love Edward Fudge’s work, for example, and wouldn’t want to engage him in a "smart contest" but I don’t buy his view of this passage — which is anything but traditional. Neither do I accept the bedsheet sermon as entirely accurate.
The fact is… I don’t know for sure what happens next. There. I said it. I have absolute trust in God that He will do the right thing and that I will be with Jesus in heaven for eternity but I am not sure about the process and what I will see or feel or experience from here to there. Many passages are salted throughout scripture saying that we "sleep" but there are others such as this passage in Luke and some in Revelation which show us as being alive, aware, and active after death. In Revelation, we see martyrs talking to God, asking questions, and speaking about things going on on planet earth. At the Transfiguration, Moses and Elijah walked with Christ without any mention of them being remade or resurrected just for that one event. Because of passages such as that, I cannot buy the "no consciousness until Jesus returns" teaching.
Neither can I say that we stay in Paradise until judgment day after seeing so many already in heaven in Revelation. I’m not at all sure there is a separate place called Paradise. It might just be another name for being with God. I don’t think the rich man is still in Tartarus (where preachers assured us he was still calling for a drop of water after all these centuries) or that he will then be transferred into hell one day. I think he was burned up, annihilated. I don’t think that people in heaven can see their friends and relatives burning in hell, much less that they can turn a blind eye to that and enjoy heaven while that view is off the port bow, so to speak.
Yet, even if the evil are annihilated out of sight of the righteous, where are the righteous? I find it informative that those who were able to see beyond the veil were not allowed to speak of it. Paul says he saw things "it is not lawful" to speak about. John the Revelator saw and heard something in heaven that the angel told him he was not allowed to repeat. "Do not write" was an strange order to receive after he’d been told to write so many other strange things, but there it is. No one was allowed to enter or see what was there and then give a guided tour later! In case you wonder, that DOES mean I have big problems with those who write about their visits to heaven. I cannot say they didn’t go there because I’m not God and I don’t know for sure. However, I know the brain and I know how the release of chemicals, the behavior of pain receptors, and the clash of memories and expectations can produce incredibly realistic visions and memories of things that never happened. (remember — I’m not a theologian but I AM a scientist who deals with the brain)
While I don’t know what will happen for sure, I am absolutely, 100% sure that we who belong to Jesus Christ are going to love how it all turns out. I am so very excited to get to see it for myself! Contrary to the country song popular right now that states everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to go now… I want to go now! I am Paul in Philippians One; the only reason I can tolerate staying here is because I know that means I have something to do for Jesus. My work, evidently, isn’t finished yet. Sleep, transference into Paradise, or the express train to heaven…. either way, those who believe on the Lord and who walk in His steps are going to love whatever it is that happens next.
6 comments:
Tuck -- The truth is that I am not positive about what I believe on this subject of intermediate state either. The Bible's main metaphor is sleep, and I go with that for the most part. However, a few verses sound otherwise (for the saved), so I cannot be dogmatic. Keep up the good work!
- Edward
dogmatic >adjective inclined to impose dogma; firmly asserting personal opinions as true.
-DERIVATIVES dogmatically >adverb dogmatism >noun dogmatist >noun.
I don't like it when people are dogmatic.
(I remember that place.) Will we talk about it then? I believe we might talk about true love. Who will be looking at our sheets. . . the entire church? Who will wash them? If we keep them (looking clean) and translucent? ( we may have to spray them with water), Can we project something from the rear? and just for fun reverse the image until everyone gets settled in... Press a botton and suddenly everything is as it should be? Will they call us magicians and will they be amazed?
Rest assured, that if God is in charge and rules all things in heaven and in our natural world ( He is and he does ) always has been (before we were yet born) and always will be even (after we “leave the building that we travel in here and now”). The dead? How did they get that way? And are they not right were they belong. . . on the other side of eternity. Amen?
Without a body to live in the dead can not go anywhere of there own choosing (they have made theirs). When you leave the ‘facility’ . . . you are never going to want to get back into that old nasty place, unless there are those who need you here. Or you are going toward that burning trash pit where the worm never dies and there is an eternal decay, then it will be to late.
Better to live for and help others today. (I do not always do that (sometimes I get used) and sometimes I yell at people, I don’t like to and I don’t want to). Some people are hard of hearing.
Love God and keep His commandments even in the circle of mockers and hypocrisy.
What does the bible say about the sweet bosom of our commander and who is there? Will we know them when we see them again with their new name?
When we dream at night we all have visions and remember things that never happened (what does the bible say about much dreaming) we sleep as our brains repair the damage of the day. Without sleep we get damaged. If we get hit in the head or get shocked we see lights and stars and that always hurts my head. If it doesn’t kill us a heavy blow to the head always leaves us with damage and many others suffer because of it. . . . When you are put onto addictive and damaging mind altering drugs some get rich and many suffer. So it is with sin.
Who wants to sin?
Who wants to be with God?
In the hope of heaven. . . There will be no resistance to good will, we will not have to worry about others stealing the glory because those who steal will not be there. Noone will get drunk on power because those who do will not be there.
People will not get hurt, bit, shocked or drugged there. They will be there because there is a God and they want to please Him. Who knows every heart and soul and every intention.
We will not have to fight the ‘good fight’ there. The door to hell will be opened. And it will be closed forever. . . no one will get out after those who have been cast there are, and noone will need to be put there again. . . .ever.
It will be a just and righteous day as only the Lord Himself and His angles can know and administer it . . that which will happen has been told of and we have been warned.
The darkness of hell will be total darkness, it will be a bottomless pit that will go on forever into the darkest of darkness. . . the spirits of many men and women will not see the light of the Lord and the spirit of those who are not His will not know the light of that is the Lord.
We must stay and do all we can, who will help fill that mansion that He has prepared for those who are His, Home, Heaven on High, that has many rooms from and by the One who knows us best.
How glorious it will be!
How many people will be there? All that do as the Father of fathers says are His. There will only be a few souls in heaven. No one here holds the keys to heaven or hell. . . Do hold fast to hope and may grace and mercy be extended to you and yours. Amen.
Stay and do all you can to help other be independent and free of the effects of the evil one. Be filled with joy.
If all you can do is pray do that.
Who will do the things that others will not or can not (ask and communicate the most and be totally honest with yourself and the one you trust most, don’t assume everything you are told is true, things change) Learn what you can from those you do not. Do not harm yourself in your labors, do not allow others to get harmed. Rest when you are tired eat when you are hungry and fast for others as there is need.
Don’t forget to rest. Eat to live, don’t live to eat. Help the poor and the needy ones)
Moderation, moderation, moderation at all times wether in feast or famine,
do not be hasty,
try not to risk yourself to save another,
sometimes you have to let go..
Even if all you can do is think and pray; do so before you act.
Do so for the children and pray for them who are,
yet on this side of eternity and those who are yet to be born into this world were things can still be changed.
Clean water for the thirsty and a little good food at a time to those who are yet hungry.
Be filled and be content where you are.
Be with other and stay active,
be alone with God and pour out your needs knowing that he will supply all to those who are His
. Who is just and righteous always and forever? Only God and we are not God,
each of us have a soul and spirit and there is a Holy Spirit of the Lord.
And it is of and sent by the living word of God.
Some will never see and never know.
The breath of life that God gave will leave all flesh
but the temple that houses the soul, being corruptible, will be food for the worms, it will (no matter how well it is preserved), it will decompose, or perish in the fire
but the soul?
Oh, the soul, the soul of every man woman and child
they will all know,
one day they will know without a shadow of doubt that there is a God.
Post a Comment