Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Soothsayers Saying Sooth

Our New Testament yesterday (Matthew 24) has often been used to support different theories and understandings of the end time. In reality, the question that Jesus is asked and the answer that He gives have to do with the destruction of the Jewish Temple and the end of the Jewish age. There is a warning about the end of the world and it is pretty simple-- "Keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come." That becomes the theme of the parables that follow in today’s reading in Matthew 25 (see Matt 25:13). We can't know when Jesus will return so we must be ready all the time.

And yet, there have always been would be prophets that the title of one book calls "Soothsayers of the Second Advent," I have always liked that title. These soothsayers claim to have have found some key or the other that allows them to unlock hidden truths in scripture that allows them to predict the day of the end of time. (There always seems to be enough time left from the publish and sell a book!). Here are some examples--

  • In the mid-second century, Montanus set the date for the return of Christ and the end of the world in the late second century. His followers gave their goods away and waited for the return. When it didn't happen, the Montanists were reduced to beggars and the movement ended.
  • In 1524, a German theologian named Stoufler predicted the coming end of the world in a cataclysmic flood. He attracted a wide following, and his disciples built boats and rafts and waited for the great world-ending flood. When it didn't happen, they were so annoyed that they threw Stoufler into a lake!
  • William Miller predicted that the world would end in 1843, a date he later had to revise to be October 22, 1844. The Millerites were so shocked when it didn't happen that they referred to October 23, 1844 as “The Great Dissappointment.” While Miller faded from the scene, some of his followers led by Ellen G. White founded the Seventh Day Adventists.
  • Some of the other ex-disciples of Miller led by Charles Taze Russell formed the "Millennial Dawn" movement. They set many dates for the end time, beginning in 1874 and then reset to be 1914, 1925, 1929, 1941, 1975, and their most recent prediction was for 1991. This movement is now called the Jehovah's Witnesses; they no longer set dates.
  • In 1970, Hal Lindsey published The Late Great Planet Earth in which he predicted the second coming sometime in the mid-seventies based on the Egypt-Israeli war. The book as been revised many times because the world has changed a little since he wrote.
  • And of course, Y2K sparked renewed interest of end time predictions as the third millennium began. Not only did the world not end, but most of the lesser catastrophes that was supposed to come with the changing of the calendar did not take place.
One can only suppose that events like 9-11, tsunami of several years ago, and the Giants upset of the Patriots in the Super Bowl will encourage other soothsayers of the end time to continue making predictions. If the Cubs ever win the World Series, then look out!

Jesus' words ring as true today as they did when he spoke them. Our job is not to unlock hidden keys that allow us to use our newspapers as decoder rings that reveal the exact time of the second coming. Everyone who does that ALWAYS comes up with something different. That is just not our job… it wasn’t even Jesus’ job while He was here on earth (Matt 24:36). No, our job is to live our lives so that we are ready for Jesus coming whenever it happens—today, tomorrow or a hundred million years from now.

2 comments:

same said...

I did not at first make the connection about Mathew’s 24th chapter relating to the destruction of the Jewish temple but now that you bring it up. I am sure it made quite an impression on those he wads talking to. I agree there is an intended parallel to be drawn by us today and in the future (*like until the end of time). We are to keep watch and that means NO SLEEPING! We must keep our uniform clean at all times and that ain’t easy to do while you are working unless you are standing under His waterfall all the time and being washed by him.

I am so glad to see those "Soothsayers of the Second Advent," ‘s works exposed for what they are and I wonder how many times others will continue to whisper there prediction in my ears. The words of such a person has been like sandpaper on my ears for to many years and I just want to scream, YOU IDIOT HOW LONG WILL YOU FILL MY EARS WITH YOUR TRASH!!! that is where most of those books should go and the authors are laughing all the way to the bank (I hope they didn’t get any of the money I donated the church)
What’s a super bowl and how much cheerios can it hold (more than I can eat before they get soggy?)

I have a digital randomizer that me and a coworker made and it does a better job than the Soothsayers, it never gets tired and I caN FIRE IT ANYTIME I WANT TO!

GREAT CONCLUSION I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD. COOL BREAA

same said...

Who wants to be ready when he knocks on the door of your soul, be it in the morning, noonday, twilight, tonight or morrow, I want to be able and ready, to fling the doors open and welcome Him in to enter into my heart. I sometimes wonder has He already been there always with me and I read in His word and I know it is true..(His angles are always before him on the behalf of the children). I know He always hears the prayers of the children who pray to him with an honest and trusting heart and I know he has heard mine. He is with them and will never leave them. Who can fight against a love like that, only a fool would kick against that wall. The world may rebel against Him and His but when the doors of the wedding feast are closed the slam will be heard no more and all the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be outside in the darkness (a pit that has no bottom and no end) and those who would bring in the filth of the unwashed shall never enter in with those who have been washed by the blood of the lamb. The full measure of His grace and mercy will be known by those who did not deserve it. As they have measured it out to others during the days of their lives so shall they receive a just reward and wages from their heavenly father. AMEN? Those who act in love act out of love and obedience and receive what has already been bought or live forever in fear of what will never end.