Well, I had something happen yesterday and today that I can’t remember ever happening before. I have been Max Lucado’s Grace for the Moment Daily Bible for my devotional Bible readings this year. Like the One Year Bible, it divides each day into readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. Unlike the One Year Bible, it also has devotional thoughts by Max Lucado each day. But that is not the reason that I bought it. As I explained in a blog earlier in the year, I bought this daily reading Bible for two reasons— first, it was the New Century Version, and I wanted to use an unfamiliar translation rather than the original language (the NIV). Second, it only cost me $11.00 at Sam’s Club. I was going to use the NLT this year, but it is hard to beat $11.00!Here’s the point. Yesterday my New Testament reading was from Colossians 1. Today my Old Testament reading was from Jeremiah 7. That is what has never happened before (that I can recall). Last night, the text for my Wednesday night class was Colossians 1. Today I’ll finish writing my sermon for Sunday, and the text is Jeremiah 7. Both my study texts for the week in my sermon and class study were covered in my devotional reading. That might not sound earth shaking to you, but it has never happened before. I have no point to make here—just that this was highly unusual.
2 comments:
Max Lucado? I have read some of his stuff and have fond it to be quite sound. The New Century Version? Haven’t heard anyone call that one a “perversion” and I doubt that anyone will be able to but some one some were might find something wrong with it somewhere, however (that is not going to stop me from asking my wife to pick up a copy for me and my family.) Sounds like it could be a breath of fresh air and at that price anyone purchasing it is a good steward of their resources in my opinion. About the coincident you mentioned, Mr. Tucker, ‘can anyone tell us what the odds are of that happening again?’
There was a coincident at work yesterday, while measuring out a substance and dividing it into pre-prescribed portions there was just enough to fill the last portion to the prescribed amount. Amazing! As if someone had plained it that way.
May I share something I read, I believe it is relevant,
Are Children Really to Blame?
We read in the paper, we hear on the air,
Of killing and stealing and crime everywhere;
We sigh and we say, as we notice the trend;
“this young generation. . . where will it end?”
But can we be sure it’s their fault, alone?
Too much money to spend; too much idle time;
Too many movies of passion and crime;
Too many books not fit to be read;
Too much evil in what they hear said;
Too many kids encouraged to roam;
Too many parents who don’t stay at home.
Youth don’t make the movies;
They don’t write the books
That paint the pictures of gangsters and crooks.
They don’t make the liquor, they don’t run bars,
And they don’t make the cars.
They don’t make (the chemicals) the drugs that addle the brain:
It’s all done by older folks, greedy for gain.
In how many cases we find that it’s true. . .
The label, “delinquency,” fits older folks, too
Thank you Mrs. Grant, were ever you are.
Post a Comment