I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy
I like David Letterman’s Top Ten Lists. I used to never go to bed without watching his monologue just to hear the Top Ten List. And that was back when he came on at 12:30 a.m. after "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" went off. How did I sit up so late back then? I had to "sit up late" last night to watch the season premier of CSI, which goes off at 10:00!) Anyway, some time go I ran across the Top Ten List of “Things You Seldom Hear in Church.”
- “Hey, it’s my turn to sit on the front pew!”
- “I didn’t notice the sermon ran 25 minutes over.”
- “What this church really needs is more announcements!”
- “Personally, I find witnessing much more enjoyable than golf.”
- “Let’s give the $500 a month we pay in country club fees to church.”
- “Who do I see to volunteer to teach the Junior High class.”
- “I just love it when we sing those new songs I’ve never heard before.”
- “Nothing inspires me more than another sermon on giving!”
- “Our list of volunteers is getting to long; we need to cut it down”
- “Nothing is more enjoyable or fun than coming to church.”
Do we often use the word “church” and “enjoy” in the same sentence? Or do we see church as being like medicine… it’s really is good for you, but it tastes bad... and it really isn't good for you unless it does taste bad! And maybe it’s not just church. Maybe we approach the entirety of our Christian lives like that. How many Christians look like they were weaned on a sour pickle? How many believers are joyless pessimists who see life like a glass a half-empty? How many church members are by nature critical of others and critical of things at church?
We act like we don’t understand that the Christian life to be a life of JOY. The noun "joy" (chara) appears 59 times in the New Testament; its verb form (chairo) is used another 72 times. So, there is a lot of joy in the New Testament! In fact, that was the standard Greek greeting. You met someone, you didn’t say, “How’s it going?” You said "Joy be with you." This is the greeting Paul uses, along with the Hebrew “shalom” (“peace”) to begin his letters. This is also the greeting used two other special occasions.
- The angel who told Mary she was with child said, “Joy” (Lk 1:28)
- Jesus met the women after Resurrection said, “Joy” (Matt 28:9)
Joy is mentioned at the beginning (birth of Jesus) and end (the resurrection) of the gospel story itself! The gospel begins and ends with joy. That doesn’t mean that life will always be a happy-go-lucky-pinch-me-I'm-so-excited expereince. But it does mean that our lives should always reflect the joy of the Lord. I think we need to consider our hole outlook on life. If our lives are not characterized by a deeper inner joy that expresses itself in some positive way, it is entirely possible we're not doing Christianity right.
3 comments:
Amen Tuck! (yes we Looney's still enjoy your blog down here in little 'ol Texas)
Your comments got me thinking about the prior blog on the end times.
Since we don't know the hour of Christ's return, consistently living a holy life is tough when the delayed gratification of living with Christ (or delayed punishment of eternal separation from him) seems so far off. The point about having more "millenium" in our mindsets is a good one, but probably shouldn't be our sole motivation in striving to live a holy life.
I see a Christian's love/joy for Christ as a more sustainable motivation to living a holy life than the focus of some churches on when he will return and/or fear of punishment. I think back to the times when obedience to my parents and teachers was done out of love and respect for them versus the times when it was done out of fear of punishment. While both motivations can produce the "right" result, I think it's easier to cheerfully and consistently make good decisions when motivated by love than fear.
I'm not intending to minimize the idea that the wages of sin is death, but to instead focus on the joy we should have because Christ paid that penalty for us.
What parent doesn’t want his children adopted or begotten to act out of love and not (terror). Terror can cripple a child and young adult. Being asked to perform (impossible tasks) “or else” can be terrorffying. We should all fear the Lord but do not need to be terrified of Him and no one should make Him out to be some kind of “boogeyman”. Children should have nothing to be terrified about! Adults who turn away from sin after knowing the price that was paid should not double charge their Lord and if they do they would be living in terror as they live in sin. Amen?
What is so tough about living a holy life and delaying the gratification that you will, if faithful get on the "other side"? Delayed punishment of separation it is not (eternal separation? that's a tough one to grasp, I don't want to go there) and I don't want to stand alone in paradise with my Lord) So we should take as many people who can travel there and leave the dirt here?
Post a Comment