Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A-Rod and Avalanche Ranch

I was watching sports on ESPN yesterday—one of the few times ESPN bleeds over clearly enough for me to pick it up. (This year we will "real" cable during football season, especially if Tank makes the Eagles again). They were discussing an award given to Alex Rodriguez for reaching the 500 homerun mark in his career. They had a little ceremony with some baseball officials standing with A-Rod on the field. The unveiled the award with a flourish-- too much flourish. The easel folded up like a cheap suit and the plaque bounced down the first base line like a bad bunt! The commentator said, “What was with this award; it looked like something a bunch of kids made in VBS.The other commentator looked at him blankly; he had no clue what was meant by "VBS." Some people are just culturally challenged like that.

Well, we know what VBS is around here! We are right in the middle of our Avalanche Ranch VBS this week. We’ve had a really good crowd of kids (more than we were expecting) the first two nights, and I don’t see any reason that this trend will not continue. When I was a kid, VBS meant we got a cookie and Kool-Aid. Well, its a bit more than that now! It’s been great watching all the excitement, enthusiasm and childish wonder… and that’s just been Len doing his cowboy imitation during praise-n-worship! I do appreciate all the hard work so many have put in, especially Kati heading everything up and putting it all together.

For some pictures, take a look at http://www.denbigh.org/Events/AvalancheRanch/. If you think these pictures look a bit grainy, you should have seen them before Photoshop. Will King will take some good pictures later, but these will give you an idea.

1 comment:

same said...

Jumpen giant horseshoes horseshoes rangers! great day in the morning! All that in one building! (The log cabin was a nice touch) What a fine looking group (grainy or not) looks fine from what I can see. I remember kool-aid and cookies was always better with Bruce, his wife and their daughter. I even remember the icing on the cookies and the way Bruce and his wife always made everything better. VBS at Williamsburg was the best memories I have of church and I will never forget what I learned there.