I don’t know whether anyone out there in Blogville gets Al Maxey’s e-newsletter Reflections. Each month there is a long article by Al that appears in Reflections, and all of the articles are posted on his website. Many of his articles, though by no means all, raise questions about some of our traditions in Churches of Christ. Such is the case in the issues I received yesterday. As you may know, there is a branch of our movement that practices communion with only one cup. There is nothing wrong with that, of course. I have been places that used one cup to emphasize the unity of the church in communion, though I was careful to make sure I sat on the front row so I got the first sip. (In was also wine rather than grape juice; a little germ killer “for thy stomach sake” isn’t a bad idea in such a setting). The problem is that these brothers and sisters insist that one cup is the only right way to do communion. Multiple cups are sinful.
Maxey’s article points to a publication called The Old Paths Advocate (which he renames Odd Paths Advocate) that raised the question of whether or not it was scriptural to refill the one cup during communion. The question was, “What should be done if the assembly proved too large to be able to commune together from the cup normally used by the congregation?” The Old Paths writer points to an elder who decided that the cup could be refilled and then communion continued from that point. That elder argued that as long as one cup was used, it could be refilled as often as was necessary to serve everyone. But this was heresy to the writer in Old Paths Advocate. I'm not making this up; here are his words--
Where is the Bible passage that either explicitly or implicitly authorizes a congregation to refill the cup and continue with the distribution of the fruit of the vine at the place in the assembly where the first cup was exhausted? There is no such scripture… We do not intend to consider even for a moment the idea of 'refilling the cup in an emergency' as described in this article. Such would entail sin and digression. We will not, must not, countenance such a corruption of the Lord's Supper. Uncertain sounds concerning the doctrine of Christ cannot be tolerated.
I thought I had LONG AGO run across all the strange ideas and practices that my religious tradition has come up with in an effort to be scriptural, but this one is a new one to me! I kept waiting for there to punch line in there somewhere. I had a professor who liked to say, “Some positions are so absurd that they must only be stated to be refuted.” This one qualifies, I think.
So if you will excuse me, my coffee cup is empty and I need to go refill it… if that is OK!
7 comments:
As I understand it the “fruit of the vine” is “HIS BLOOD” that was shed for us and we have been purchased from the bondage that we (in the past) put ourselves under), by Christ’s precious blood we are cleansed, by his mercy and grace all past offences are washed away as we remember Him always, we repent and turn from any sinful thought, resolving never to enter into those garments of sin that have been cast aside because they are filthy and vile. Let us remember that as we partake of the lords supper together on the first day of the week.
The reason God sent his son to die, the reason he sent him and he bleed for us who were not yet born. Remember that he loves us and wants us to be holy as he is holy. He wants to commune with his children. Those adopted children who are thankful for the body of Christ. May His church be pure as Christ the savior is pure and without any leaven of man. Remember and be a part of his body, his family that was purchased with that perfect sacrifice it was His is Blood that makes us knew and keeps us HOLY with HIM always!
Growing up, when we could afford the trip, my family would travel to a one-cup Church of Christ camp meeting that was held near Delta, Colorado for one week out of every summer. That building would get so full! It was one of the most beautiful experiences a person could have.
There were countless partakers in the communion, yet there is not one time that I can recall the cup being emptied...odd isn't it?
I believe that passage that you are speaking against is correct. We have no authority to add or take away from the word of God.
Post a Comment