Thursday, June 21, 2007

Both... and Neither!

Ann Holmes Redding has been an Episcopal priest for 20 years, and this fall she will teach as visiting professor of New Testament at Seattle University. Fifteen months ago, she also converted to Isalm. Today she claims to be both a Christian and a practicing Muslim. There is no real conflict in this to her. Sure, some minor details have to be worked out, but then people in every religion disagree over some of the details. “So why would I spend time to try to reconcile all of Christian belief with all of Islam.” She goes on to say this—

At the most basic level, I understand the two religions to be compatible. That's all I need. ... It wasn't about intellect. All I know is the calling of my heart to Islam was very much something about my identity and who I am supposed to be. I could not not be a Muslim.

Both Christian and Muslim leaders puzzle over her affirmation that she is both Christian and Muslim. One Muslim professor said, "The theological beliefs are irreconcilable… for Muslims to say Jesus is God would be blasphemy." A Christian professor says, "I think you have to give up what is essential to Christianity to make the moves that she has done.”

What Redding has given up is Jesus. Christianity stands or falls with the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus told his followers, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me… Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:6,9). Christianity is built on the foundation that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God (Matt 16:16). He is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” who is today “sustaining all things by his powerful word(Heb 1:3). Jesus is the eternal word of God who was with God at the beginning and who is Himself God (John 1:1).

Either Jesus is who he said he was or Christianity is false. Either faith stands on the foundation of God’s action in history in the person of Jesus or it does not. Either Jesus was the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world and who was raised as the firstfruits of the dead or He was not. Either Jesus is Lord or he is not. One really does have to choose. And to try to accept both Jesus and Mohammad is to choose against Christ.

What do we think about Jesus?

4 comments:

same said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
same said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clifford said...

Isn't this like straddling the fence of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Many of us struggle with our self identities. It’s a deception to think that choosing any faucet or religious practice that satisfies our self worth, or even exalts our personal identities is a calling from God. Jesus can't be our Lord and Savior and at the same time Mohammed be our vision to God no more than we can walk in two different directions at the same time. Being born into the body of Christ until this afternoon when I tie on my black headscarf just doesn’t seem to be genuine.

same said...

"just doesn’t seem to be genuine"? is an understatement.