
I'm not a big fan of cutesy articles forwarded to me as emails. I am especially not a fan of those forwarded emails that are attachments that you open and get is another attachment, so you keep opening them like one of those Russian matryoshka nesting dolls. Generally, those forwarded email messages I receive get deleted without being opened. Not not always. Every once in awhile I get one that I actually read and enjoy. Randall sent me one the other day that I did read. (OK, the reason I read it is that he
is one of my elders!) But it also reminded me of something that we all need to remember, I think. Here is an abbreviated version of the story--
Several years ago, a new preacher moved to a new town. One day he rode the bus from his home and discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. He debated with himself what he should do; after all, it was just a quarter. When his stop came, he paused at the door and then handed the quarter to the driver, "You gave me too much change." The driver smiled, "Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking lately about going to worship somewhere. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church Sunday" When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he prayed, "Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter."
Cheesy preacher story? Yes, but a reminder of an important truth. Today someone is going to test your commitment to your Christian faith. Oh, they may not do it intentionally like this bus driver. But they are going to say or do something that will put your faith commitment on the line. It may be a slow and inept cashier. It may be an annoying co-worker who is more in your business than in their own. It may be a neighbor who has a really short fuse. Whoever it is, they will test your commitment to live out your faith in Jesus. They will test how seriously you take following the Christ. If we are not careful, we may find ourselves selling our Lord for a quarter... or less.
No comments:
Post a Comment